Where we work
Smutsville is a township on the outskirts of Sedgefield on the Garden Route. As with many townships in South Africa there is huge pressure on housing and services. The majority of people are shack dwellers, do not own their land and have minimal services.
Fortunately there is a good primary school. However, no senior school exists in Sedgefield or Smutsville and the availability and cost of secondary schooling in neighbouring towns is prohibitive for most. So many teenagers end up on the streets with few positive possibilities. Without mentors and role models these adolescents struggle for the chance to beat their dire circumstances and to uplift themselves.
Sedgefield has no industry, and as a result employment possibilities are limited, especially for those without senior education. Many become dependent on grants and hand outs.
Community leaders on the Garden Route are mindful of these issues and they work with and positively support the founders of freshStart to explore and implement ways of doing this and welcome all initiatives that will help create a new generation – a generation of youth who believe in themselves and are empowered to change their lives for the better.
The freshStart Vision
The vision is for a new generation that is empowered to achieve their full potential
The main aim of freshStart is to empower people to make a fresh start in their life.
The focus of freshStart is on the at-risk children and youths and their families in the greater Sedgefield and Smutsville areas. This focus includes creating projects that involve recycling and upcycling of waste and that develop life skills, practical ability and confidence.
The purpose of freshStart Sedgefield is to:-
- promote general awareness of recycling and the benefits to self, family, community and the environment
- ensure all projects energise people to help themselves around recycling or upcycling opportunities
- appoint project teams for each project which will include members of community to be impacted and to mentor teams to become self sufficient and sustainable
- monitor performance of projects against agreed objectives
- raise awareness and coordinate fund raising for all agreed projects
- network with local charity organisations to optimise synergies and ensure that there are no inefficient overlaps or gaps in community needs.
The objectives of freshStart Sedgefield are:-
- To help people help themselves.
- To actively encourage family participation in the Smutsville Recycle Swop Shop, where: children are guided to set own goals and achieve them through own efforts; children exchange recyclable material for mula points and trade these points for new and second hand goods; children are nurtured to develop broader life skills – basic maths, team work, recycling, up cycling;
- To call to action the general public to participate by volunteering their time/expertise as well as offering donations of money or used / new goods.
The freshStart Team
freshStart, Sedgefield is a not for profit organisation, registration # NPC 2014/101265/08
In accordance with S.A. regulation, the organisation is governed by a minimum of 3 Directors and an elected Management Committee. All are volunteers, and unpaid.
- Lorraine Alfreds
- Anne Dunn
- Carl Lamprecht
The Management Committee
- Chair: Lida van As
- Financial Officer: Jane Braun
- Community Liaison: Rejoice Gawie, Naomi Grootboom
- SwopShop Manager: Schalk van As
- PR&Socal Media: Irene Wiesinger
- Auditor: Ad Cole
- Accountant: Ann Munro
Jennifer and Antony Tooley
Thank you for your vision and labour of love birthing this project.
All projects facilitated by freshStart, Sedgefield are managed by volunteers. No staff are paid and there are minimal overhead costs.